When we think about addiction, hallucinogens aren’t usually the first substances that come to mind. Instead, we think of drugs such as cocaine, heroin, and alcohol. While many experts don’t see hallucinogens as being nearly as addictive or dangerous, it’s important to understand the serious effects they can have on people who use them.
Hallucinogens are natural or synthetic substances that alter a person’s thoughts, feelings, and perception of their surroundings. The hallucinations they produce can often seem very real, so much so that the person experiencing them can engage in behaviors that are bizarre and even dangerous. Commonly used drugs in this category include the following:
When you call our helpline, you will be connected with a caring admissions navigator to discuss your options for treatment.
- No cost
- No obligation to enter treatment
- Available to you 24/7
- D-lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) is one of the most powerful psychedelics. White and odorless, it comes from fungus that grows on grains. People also call LSD Blotter Dots, Acid, and Yellow Sunshine.
- Ayahuasca is the primary ingredient in psychedelic substance dimethyltryptamine (DMT). People generally consume it in tea form.
- Synthetic DMT has similar mind-altering properties to its naturally occurring Amazonian counterpart. The most common synthetic form of DMT is Dimitri.
- 4-phosphoryloxy-N, N-dimethyltryptamine (psilocybin) comes from certain subtropical and tropical mushrooms. Popularly, these are known as Magic Mushrooms, Shrooms, Little Smoke, and Purple Passion.
- Dextromethorphan (DXM) is found in some cough suppressants and mucus-clearing medications. Also known as Robo, it can cause feelings of disorientation and disconnection.
- Ketamine is a human anesthetic and animal tranquilizer that’s available in pill form and as an injectable liquid. It’s popularly known as K, Special K, and Cat Valium.
- Phencyclidine (PCP) is available in liquid, powder, tablets, and capsules. Popularly known as Angel Dust, Hog, and Peace Powder, it can cause hallucinations and episodes of severe violence.
- Salvia divinorum (Salvia), can cause feelings of disconnection from the body and is popularly known as Sally-D, Magic Mint, and Diviner’s sage.
The Effects of Hallucinogens
Hallucinogen effects vary in strength and duration depending on which drug you take. In general, however, the symptoms begin anywhere from 20 to 90 minutes after ingestion and can last for several hours. Some of the short-term symptoms include:
- Increased heart rate
- Distorted perception of time
- Intensified sensory perceptions
- Spiritual realizations
- Psychosis or disconnection from reality
Although these instances are rare, hallucinogens have been known to produce long-term symptoms of psychosis along with anxiety, paranoia, visual disturbances, disorganized thoughts, and flashbacks. People that use hallucinogens are also at risk for poisoning, seizures, coma, and death.
Treatment For Hallucinogen Users
Despite what you may have heard, some hallucinogenic drugs, such as PCP, are addictive. You can develop a tolerance to substances like LSD, which forces you to use more of the substance to produce the desired effects. Furthermore, you may eventually experience long-term effects of hallucinogen use that negatively affect your relationships, job, and future.
Whatever your situation, the compassionate professionals at Serenity Lodge are here to help.
Treatment at Serenity Lodge
Serenity Lodge is a men-only drug and alcohol addiction treatment facility located in the San Bernardino Mountains in California. We combine effective, individualized addiction treatment programs with peer support, recreation, and spiritual growth. Become one of our clients and you’ll begin down the path of recovery on all levels: physical, psychological, and spiritual.
During our evidence-based individual, group, and Family Support sessions, you will get to the root causes of your addiction. In our safe and relaxing environment, you can also find new ways to socialize and have fun. Our recreational amenities include the following:
- Golf and racquetball
- 12-person sauna
- Movie theater
- Professional recording studio
- Nutritional prepared meals therapy
- Fitness development at our 1500-square-foot gym
Your time at Serenity Lodge will be a reboot for your mind, body, and soul. Don’t let another day go by with despair and addiction controlling your life. Call our caring professionals today at (855) 932-4045 and regain control of your future.