If you have a problem with alcohol, you’re likely familiar with the burden of withdrawal. When extended alcohol abuse suddenly stops or declines, the body reacts by producing various withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms can feel quite unpleasant for the user, a fact that makes it difficult for many people to stop drinking. If you want to stop abusing alcohol but doubt your ability to manage withdrawal, consider professional help. Alcohol withdrawal treatment at Serenity Lodge in California can assist you in getting through the detox phase safely and effectively. We can also help you transition into a treatment program that will prepare you for lasting sobriety.
What Is Withdrawal?
If you’re a heavy or frequent drinker, you’re likely to experience withdrawal symptoms when you attempt to quit. Even cutting back on your dosage could activate withdrawal, a process that produces both mental and physical problems. This is because your brain has grown accustomed to receiving high levels of alcohol and actually believes it needs the substance to feel “normal”.
Following the last drink, the liver starts to metabolize ethanol (alcohol) and then disperse it throughout the body. Once a person’s system is exposed to this rush of alcohol, withdrawal symptoms typically start to appear. Symptoms may appear in as little as two hours or as long as four days after a person’s last drink.
The severity of withdrawal depends on many factors, including but not limited to:
- Length of abuse and volume of dosage
- Family history of alcohol problems
- Presence of any underlying emotional disorder, such as depression, anxiety, or Bipolar Disorder (BPD)
- Past traumas – including childhood traumas
Withdrawal symptoms can vary greatly from person to person and can range from mild to serious. In extreme cases of alcohol abuse and alcoholism, users may experience a condition called delirium tremens (DTs). This condition commonly appears two to five days after the last drink, and it can be fatal. Symptoms include fever, hallucinations, shakes, tremors, and high blood pressure.
Individuals experience withdrawal in different ways. For most people, alcohol detox lasts about one week. For others, however, it can last months.
The Three Stages of Alcohol Withdrawal
While symptoms vary, the process generally occurs in three phases.
- Phase 1: This initial stage typically begins within four to eight hours following a person’s last drink. It usually lasts about 24–72 hours, and symptoms include interrupted sleep patterns, minor hand tremors, abdominal discomfort and/or lack of appetite, excessive sweating, headaches, heart palpitations, and extreme mood swings. Most people also experience increased feelings of anxiety and stress.
- Phase 2: Symptoms tend to peak around 24–72 hours after the last drink. Symptoms of this second phase can be intense. Some people report suffering from hallucinations, extreme mental cloudiness, and increased blood pressure. Many individuals also face intense mood swings and potential seizures.
- Phase 3: Approximately 30% of all drinkers experience this stage of withdrawal. It begins about three to four days after the last drink, but it can last for weeks. Common complaints during this final stage include difficulty keeping focus, hallucinations, elevated heart rate, excessive sweating, and dilated pupils. For some people, this is the stage of withdrawal when delirium tremens usually appears.
While withdrawal can be intense, it shouldn’t deter you from seeking sobriety. At our gender-responsive drug and alcohol addiction treatment center Serenity Lodge, you can safely get through withdrawal. Once detox is complete, you can receive the treatment that you need in order to conquer your problem.
Quality Alcohol Withdrawal Treatment is Available in California
Serenity Lodge in California is a place where Men can recover their sobriety and start rebuilding their lives. Our alcohol withdrawal treatment programs have helped thousands of people just like you recover their independence and self-worth. If you’re ready to put an end to alcohol abuse, our programs can help you transform your dream of sober living into reality.
Just a few of our addiction treatment programs and therapies include:
- Detox – performed at our partner’s off-site facility
- Residential inpatient
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP)
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP)
- 12-Step program
- Dual diagnosis
- Relapse prevention
If you’re willing to work hard toward your recovery, our team of experts is prepared to guide you through each step of our programs. You don’t have to face this life-changing journey alone. Our rehab specialists will be the supportive and compassionate backbone that you need while working toward your long-term goals.
Seek Alcohol Withdrawal Treatment Today
Step away from the distractions and burdens of the real world long enough to focus on your mental, physical, and spiritual health. Serenity Lodge in California is the ideal location for you to rest during alcohol withdrawal and devote your energies toward recovery. Call us at 866-379-4365 to learn more about this exciting opportunity that can be yours by choosing Serenity Lodge for your rehab.